Dr Coombs to the rescue

We had one of the most trying weeks last week for Caleb. Yes, he's been through finals at dental school, board exams, and learning to speak Portuguese after being dropped in Brazil for his mission. But I think last week put hair on his chest, took years off his life, and almost made him pack his bags and run away. Lucky for us, he stuck it out and he's still here.

Friday night Calvin got really sick. He had croup again, could not breathe at all, and was up almost all night. No parent can sleep when their baby cannot breathe, so I was up all night trying to help him along with Caleb. Caleb took off for work and I got Calvin in for an appointment at urgent care at 11 am. My mom agreed to watch Shelby for me.

Calvin got some steroids to help me breathe and we went back home. Shelby was very excited to see us because she is in LOVE with going to the doctor. Don't ask me where she gets it, because it's not from me. Calvin had too many appointments at a young age so if he even sees the waiting room, he screams. Before we left Shelby told me what things to pack for Calvin and what the doctor was going to do for him. She was so thorough and really wanted to go with us. But everyone at the urgent care is sick and I avoid that place at all costs. Here's my boy at the doctors:

Shelby ran in the driveway to come inside and hear all about our trip to the doctor. As she's running in the door, she trips, she falls, and all I hear is screaming. I run out and see that Caleb has also gotten home at the same time and he has Shelby in the kitchen by the sink. There is blood all the way down the hall, all over her face, and I can't even tell what happened.

My mom said she tripped and fell and smashed her face on our concrete planter outside. She didn't catch herself at all and went nose first. After the initial bleeding stopped we could see massive swelling start to occur. The pictures do not even do it justice.

Caleb and I both took Shelby back to urgent care. She was excited to be there and as soon as she realized we were there, she sits up like nothing is wrong and starts asking the other people what they needed to see the doctor for. Her face looks horrible and everyone wants to know what she did and she just wants to hear about their ailments and who their doctor is going to be.

The doctor confirms her nose is broken, refers us to the ENT, gives her popsicles and stickers and we go home. Here are pictures of the first week. Look at how much it changes day by day.







Shelby barely complained or cried but Calvin was still pretty miserable. The next day I had to go back to urgent care to get Calvin more medicine and I also had to take a pregnancy test before my surgery. By this point the ladies who check me in know me by name and feel sorry for me.

We nurse the kids all day Sunday trying to keep them comfortable. Monday morning I go in for my arm surgery. I honestly couldn't reschedule it again. I already did twice because I was pregnant and this time I  had to do it. So Caleb took care of all three of us. Calvin with croup, Shelby with a broken nose, and me with one arm.

About three days later I'm laying in bed sick from the pain meds and I can't do much on them anyway. I was up most nights trying not to throw up from the percocet, so I basically slept all the time. Well this night, I was laying in bed with the kids and Shelby has a raging fever. We just went to the ENT so I knew it wasn't an infection or hematoma and was hoping it was nothing. I give her popsicle and try to help, but she's not doing so well. I ask for a bowl, and sure enough, she throws up on my arm and all over the bowl.

We had washed the sheets three times in the past two days already from the kids with bloody noses, coughing, and mucus. So we were on our last sheet. I yell for Caleb because I have one good arm, covered in puke, and I can't move because I'm hooked to the ice machine. He comes in, takes the bowl to the sink..... and Calvin comes over, crawls up to my stomach, and pukes. All over me. Like, a lot. And Caleb didn't even have time to bring the bowl back.,

Nobody could even come over to help us because we were all too sick and contagious. So it was just my man Caleb. He was our own personal doctor. I am so glad he's not phased by anything. He got no sleep the whole week, he couldn't hardly work, and he had to do about 15 loads of laundry.


I love you babe. Let's hope we have a better week next week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Calvin had a bad day

Updates

Thanksgiving 2022