Helvatia Half

I've always wanted to run Helvatia and this year I got my chance. My co-worker Tracy had paid for the race, got injured, and gave me her bib. I wasn't exactly training for a half, but I thought I could pull it off. She asked me to run on Monday and the race was that Saturday. I had just run 8.77 miles on my lunch break that day, so I figured it was a sign that I can do it. I didn't get any sleep the night before, woke up very early, and went to my friends house to drive to the race. I ended up seeing about 6 people I knew at the race, and it makes me miss living in Portland. So many fun places to run and great groups of running friends.

I got sick on mile 9, had to walk, and didn't know if I could finish the race. I have never walked during a race before. Not even pregnant! But my stomach was in absolute fits and there was no bathroom near. I found a tire company on the side of the road with 3 guys sitting in lawn chairs out front watching the runners go by. I asked if I could use their bathroom and they gladly pointed to the back of the shop. After about 10 minutes, I felt better. That was a pretty sick bathroom too, but I could care less.

I got back out on the road, and felt better than I had felt the whole race. I ran a solid 8 minute pace until the end. I only lost about 15 minutes with being sick. I finished in 2:05. Not my best time, not my worst time, and a good finish considering it was a last minute decision.

The burger in the end was actually pretty good. I couldn't finish it. I don't like food after I run. But the mini Jamba Juices they gave out after the race were my best friend. I went back and got 3 of them until my bottom lip was numb.

Next up: Cascade Lakes Relay! I am runner #1, which means I do 8.5 miles, then 7.5, and then finish with a 6.6 mile leg. I did this race two years ago and it was challenging and a lot of fun. I am ready to do it again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Calvin had a bad day

Updates

Thanksgiving 2022