Comparing my kids

I know you're not suppose to compare your kids, but come on! I'm not afraid to admit it.

Shelby started walking at 9 months
Calvin at 10 months scoots around sitting up and doesn't crawl

Shelby wouldn't sit on my lap and cuddle from about 3 months old and older
Calvin  at 10 months still loves to rock and be held and snuggle

Shelby woke up every 3 hours to nurse at night until she was almost one year
Calvin started sleeping through the night around 7 months (bless his heart)

Shelby has curly hair and huge hazel eyes
Calvin has very straight hair and beautiful blue eyes

How can I possibly have two kids so different from each other? I love their little personalities and I love how different they are. Shelby grew up very fast, which was a lot of fun, and very challenging. Because Calvin has been slower to learn new things, he's this precious little baby to me still and growing at the perfect pace. Here's a picture of Shelby at 7 months and Calvin at 10 months. They look like siblings to me, but not going to be mistaken for twins anytime soon.

Recently, Shelby has been very attached to Calvin. She wants to do whatever he is doing. Calvin loves to have her around and is glad that his big sister finally realizes how cool he is. I stopped washing Calvin in the sink awhile ago, but Shelby thinks it's the coolest thing ever to sit in the sink with her brother. So, baths are back in the sink now at least once a week. The rest of the time I am able to convince Shelby to go into the bathtub. Thank goodness because I end up soaked from head to toe when it's in the sink.

The kids also think it's fun to play in Calvin's crib. Here's a typical morning where Calvin wakes up and Shelby has to go join him in bed before he can get out of bed.
I'm not sure how other parents feel about having a kid that grows up really quickly, or one that takes their time and is content. I like having one of each and I can see the benefit of each child. It reminds me a lot of Caleb and myself. Opposites attract, right?!

Comments

Anonymous said…
As you know, I am in a very similar boat. Maddy grew up so quickly and if she wants to cuddle, something is wrong! Hunter has been slower and a bit more of a snuggler (not much, but a little more).

For me it is good and bad. I wonder if I am making the right choices for Hunter or if he is developing differently because I am treating him differently or not devoting enough time entirely to him.

But, life would be boring if they were both the same and I like seeing the differences between the two of them - they are their own people. Maddy is a mini-me and Hunter is a mini-Sean!

Popular posts from this blog

Updates

Calvin had a bad day