Christmas traditions 2014

This Christmas was a little harder to get out and do stuff with the kids since I'm 9 months pregnant. But we still managed to squeeze in a lot of fun. We started with the Christmas tree on Thanksgiving weekend. This year we found an amazing tree and it was snowing (barely) when we picked the tree. We went with Rhoda's family and they hauled it to our house for us.

Then we decorated it and Rhoda's kids did all the decorating of my entire house this year. I practically sat on the couch and barked out orders of where I wanted stuff to go. The house goes up so much faster with all the helpers around.

The day after the tree went up and was decorated, Caleb went to friends house late at night to watch a TV show that he loves. It's about zombies, which is not my favorite thing ever, so he watches it with friends. Everyone was in bed and then I heard the loudest, glass shattering, crash ever! Our tree totally fell over. The stand was apparently too small. Now we know! Our dear friends came over at 10 pm and helped us with a monster tree stand they had. Luckily they let us borrow it all year.

Decorating a tree for the second time is not nearly as much fun as the first. The second time there was no Christmas music, and I wasn't nearly as picky. And it still turned out great. Love my tree!




We went and looked at a bunch of Christmas lights around our neighborhood and Keizer. We drove around to all our favorite spots and the kids decided we need to really go crazy with outdoor lights next year. Our lights stopped working after just one year and we haven't bought new ones again. I guess next year we will have to make it happen.

We had our gingerbread making house party with three awesome families. 12 kids, tons of candy, and lots of messes later, it was a success. I love this tradition so much that it's worth all the huge mess.

The kids and I made Christmas cookies, delivered them to lots of friends, and I totally forgot to take pictures. It was really cute to let the kids run up to doorsteps and deliver them. We walked so much this year to deliver things just to try and induce my labor! It didn't work, but we did have fun.

I wrapped every gift with care and I love how they turned out this year. I never got a good picture of them, but the ribbon, wrapping paper, it all came together. Lots of glitter!


The kids did a great job singing at church for Christmas too. Calvin actually sang this year for the first time. He usually goes up to the front and hides or stares at us. But this year he sang some songs and I was so happy. Shelby sang and danced, which wasn't the idea, but it was pretty cute. No matter what we tell her before she goes up to the front, she can't help but dance.

Caleb's work had an ugly sweater contest, and although he didn't win, he had an UGLY sweater. His co-worker made it for him and it was hilarious!


Grandma Wendy and I took Shelby to the children's Nutcracker at the Elsinore Theater this year. She loved the ballet. It was really adorable. She loved the entire theater experience. I think she's hooked and this is going to have to be a regular thing for us. I love how girlie my girl is.


The kids got to see Santa and tell them what they wanted for Christmas. It's always exciting to hear what they pick. Calvin usually picks whatever he saw last. Shelby always has a random thing she wants. They were both so excited to meet him this year! Shelby said she wants an umbrella and Calvin wanted a train. They both ate their candy canes and talked all about Santa the whole way home. It wasn't raining this year, which is rare, and Santa was very nice and cheery. 



Both of the kids had school Christmas parties we got to attend. I went to Shelby's and helped the kids make crafts. Caleb actually got to go to Calvin's, which was really cool. Calvin was so happy to have his dad there. 



Now we are all ready for Christmas! Hopefully our baby won't be born before Christmas. I really want to be home with the other kids if I can be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Updates

Calvin had a bad day