In sickness and in health

Two days after I ran the Portland marathon, I got very sick. Sick enough to spend some time in the hospital and on bed rest for three weeks. I have been getting allergy shots for awhile now to help relieve me of allergy symptoms during the spring and summer. It's been working wonderfully, until now. I went into anaphylactic shock twice. Nothing like hives all over your body, having your throat close, and puking all over the place at work to embarrass a girl. Yes it was very scary, but also really uncomfortable to happen at work. Both times too!!

After one month of serious medication and restricted activities, I was ready to get back into my workouts. I started working with my trainer again and doing my food journal every day. Getting results, feeling good, and then- pneumonia hits, followed promptly by some cracked ribs from coughing too much. It's been three weeks that I have been sick again, which totals two months of lame-ness. I am officially DONE being sick and ready to get my health back.

The good news is that I learned a lot about how caring my family can be. I had all the support and help that I could ever need. Everything from getting my house cleaned, baking meals for me, picking up and dropping off my kids so I can rest, and lots of encouraging comments. Caleb is gone all the time, so I am very lucky to be in Salem and so close to my family. When he is home, he rocks my socks and takes great care of me. For those of you who know Caleb, you know that he hates mornings and loves to sleep in more than anything. He gets up with the kids on the weekends and plays quietly with them so I can sleep. And he's been doing the cooking, cleaning, and house projects when he is home. I am so lucky!

Today is the first day that I didn't cough the entire day. I probably only coughed once an hour, which is huge. I am feeling so much better that it's time to start thinking positively and counting my blessings. Let's hope my ribs heal soon so that I can hit the gym and start running again. I miss working out, I miss picking up my kids, and I miss feeling like myself.

Let's hope that Santa brings me good health for 2012!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Calvin had a bad day

Updates