Update on Baby Calvin

I had an ultrasound done when I was 20 weeks and got to find out baby Calvin is a boy. Crazy to imagine us having a boy, but we are very excited. Caleb was gone in Roseburg doing an externship and could not attend the ultrasound. So my sister Rhoda went with me and provided the much needed support. I love seeing the little hands, feet, and heart. It's amazing to be able to meet your baby. He really did not move very much during the ultrasound. It looks like he has one position he likes and he wants to stay there.

I sent Caleb some pictures by phone to make him guess what we were having. He of course guessed a boy, because he really wanted one.

One week after the ultrasound I got a call, Friday at noon, and my doctor wanted me to go in and get some blood work done. Baby Calvin has a cyst on his brain. It could be Trisomy 18, which means he will die shortly after birth or within the first year of life. They didn't get a great picture of both hands and feet to be able to rule out the disorder. Most baby's who have this disorder have some kind of disfigurement of there extremities. So, emotional as I could possibly be, I called my girlfriend Lindsey. She came right over and helped me pull myself together and go get my blood work done.
One week after I got my test done, and about 800 phone calls to the doctor later, they told me the blood work looks good and it's highly unlikely that Calvin will have the disorder. All of that stress and waiting was killing me, so I was grateful for the good news. They still want to do another ultrasound in ten weeks to just make sure his brain is doing well. Which means I will probably worry until that day comes, but not as much as I have been.
Caleb and I are thankful for modern medicine. I am not one to rush off and diagnose different things, or to worry about all of the possible things that could go wrong. But it's nice to have doctors who care, are willing to help you get the tests you need, and best prepare you for what your future holds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Updates

Calvin had a bad day