Love/hate life

This year has been a very interesting year. Maybe this is how life goes when you're old. Some things are going very well for us and we could not be happier. And other things are just weird if not completely awful. One issue at a time here folks:

My job- is the best job ever. Honestly, I have the best benefits and pay that I know of. For being a 33-year old female, I don't know too many other women who have the job of their dreams and the pay to match. I don't have to worry about money, I can afford to contribute a lot of money to retirement, and save for my kids college. I get to help employees at my work be safe on the job and healthy. We have changed peoples lives and I get kudos from employees regularly on how our program has helped make them a better parent. I rarely ever work overtime, and I get paid to travel around and speak at large events and share our company success. We have the best day care for my kids and they love being there so much that we usually never leave on time at the end of the day and just keep playing. What's not to love? How about the big stupid flood on January 19 that caused 3.2 million dollars of damage at my work and has been running all over the place acting like a contractor? Who knew that was part of my job anyway? I am so busy that I don't get to do the parts of my job that I love the most. The flood work is actually really interesting and fun, but it's very stressful and has me working lots of extra hours. Hopefully this work will start going more smoothly and I get back to what I love to do. Working extra hours is very hard on my family and makes for a grumpy me.

Caleb's job- is not the best job ever, or the best company ever. He is an independent contractor, so he is his own job. He works at 4 different dental clinics every week. Some clinics are busy and he gets paid well, others are slow and he gets bored. His pay is totally based on what he does, so in the end we just hope it's a good average and he can pay his student load debt. He travels to work 1-4 hours per day. He drives around 14 hours a week most of the time and he put 40,000 miles on our car in 11 months. We thought this traveling business would end soon, but it's just not. He doesn't want to sign a contract and work for a clinic that doesn't let him do the procedures that he enjoys doing, and right now he's not. But all the jobs in town want to have to sign a non-compete clause and want you to work there 3-5 years. We want to own a practice, not sign our lives away. But trying to buy a practice has been harder than we thought. The good news is that Caleb loves being a dentist, has a great time treating patients, gets flexibility to do funky procedures when he wants, and he can take time off as he wants to. For example, he's going wild pig hunting for a week in Texas. He doesn't get paid vacation like I do, but he can take time off and nobody is watching his hours. Please help us find the right job match!!

Calvin and Shelby are absolutely amazing. Best two kids in the world. We are still considering growing our family but with our jobs right now it doesn't seem to be working. But we probably should not let our jobs decide how large our family is, right? Well, I can't imagine being preggers, running around after our two kids, working extra hours, and having a husband who is never home. But, if I wait any longer, I am going to be old as heck and my kids will be too spread out in age. I love big families, little age gaps, and having both parents around to help. Maybe that is coming for us soon, who knows.

That's my love/hate life. We have a great life, so it seems silly to complain about it. It's just very different than I thought it would be and our future is not clear right now. Hoping the next two months will start to sort out and we can see what the years ahead will have in store for us.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Well you do have a great family and that's what really counts! Things will all work out soon.
deonthemom said…
We should start a club!
Tony and Vi said…
hi renae!! i feel ya.. i'll be praying for you guys. life has a way of being unpredictable.. but I know the Lord has a great plan for you guys. (Jeremiah 29.11).

Popular posts from this blog

Updates

Calvin had a bad day