Engaged!

September 26, 2003......
Friday was Caleb and my last day to spend time together before school stated up again for him, and he wanted to plan a date for us that night Friday afternoon I received an email that I had flowers in the reception area! I was pumped! I ran down the stairs and saw beautiful roses in an outstanding vase. The flowers had no note attached, but the gesture told me it had to be Caleb. I left work early because I knew my man was in a romantic mood, and I was not getting any work done anyway. I rushed out to my parents at 3, and waited, and waited. Caleb showed up a little after 4 and asked me if I was up to going to the beach. So we headed out the door to Lincoln City. On the drive there Caleb was passing every car that wasn't going at least 80 mph. He asked me if I wanted to come home to my parents and watch the movie Serendipity at 10 o'clock. For those of you who know Caleb, you can understand why I start to get suspicious at this point. Not only did he have a time, but he even knew what movie, very rare!
I was starving, but Caleb was adamant about not missing the sunset. We headed down by Moe's and watched a very beautiful sunset together. The romance was in the air, I could feel it. He was so cute the entire day that I knew something was coming. We enjoyed a fabulous dinner at Moe's and decided to head home. Only as we were walking out of the restaurant, he turned and pulled me back out to the dock area. We were all alone and he had that Caleb smile, like he was up to something. He walked me into a corner and had me facing him. He said, "Well, since everyone already thinks we are getting married, I thought I would make it a little more official and get you a ring." At this point my heart rate speeds up and I start to get cotton mouth. He continues to pull something out of his pocket. He hands me a plastic container that looks fresh out of the vending machine. He gives out a little chuckle and I take a closer look. Sure thing, it was a vending machine ring. I could appreciate the joke, but come on!  All that adrenaline, for a 25 cent fairy ring. I was so sad, but I tried to be a good sport and not show it. I did the girl pouty thing on the inside and we walked back to the car, and started to drive home.
This drive home was much different. There was no anticipation left, and I was ready to fall asleep for the night. Caleb was driving slower than the speed limit, which is very unusual. I took advantage of the drive and fell asleep. I woke up when we were in Salem, Caleb pleasantly turned my seat heater up to full blast, so I woke up in a sweat with burn marks on my back. We drove by the Capitol and he got this huge cute Caleb smile, which is a complete giveaway that there is more to come. We rented the movie, and then he turned to drive back downtown. He told me he wanted to go to a park and look at the stars. I started to get really nervous and excited all over again.
We parked down by the Capitol and he asked me if I wanted to go into the gazebo in the park. While we were putting on our coats I noticed that there were 20 drunk bums having a party right beside the spot. I was sad for Caleb, not knowing if that was where he had planned to ask me. He brushed it off and walked me over to a park bench farther away and we sat down and told each other stories about the first time we met. He asked me if I had ever been up to the top of the Capitol before, and I told him about my 3rd grade class trip. He asked me to go take a closer look at it with him, and we walked over to the building.
At this point I can't even see the gold man, and I was getting very confused. He started to walk up the steps, and I followed. The building was black inside and there were two security guards inside. I told him it was closed and there was NO way we were getting inside! He walked up and tried to open the door, and looked shocked when it was locked. About that time the security guard sees us trying to break in and I turned to walk away of this embarrassing moment. Caleb grabbed my shoulders and turned me right back around, and let me know that I wasn't going anywhere. I just knew we were about to get in trouble. The security guy opens the door and asked Caleb, "Are you here for the late night tour?" Caleb said yes, and the man let us in the door. He asked us if we wanted to see the whole building or just go straight to the top. Caleb told the man we just wanted to go straight up. I didn't even know they still let anyone go all the way to the top but I did know there is no such thing as an 11 o'clock Capitol tour!
The security man took us up the elevator, and then pointed us to the 225 stairs that we got to climb up. On the walk up I really thought my legs were going to buckle and I would never make it. I didn't know if I was dizzy from the spiral stairs or just out of pure enthusiasm. We reached the top and there was a blanket laid out, with roses, candles, glasses and juice on ice. Caleb grabbed my hand and sat me down on the blanket. He said he brought us some treats, and handed me a Cracker Jacks box. He opened his and I just sat there, like I wanted crackers! Lets get on with it! Reluctantly I opened my box, ate one piece and put it down. He said, "Do you know what my favorite part of Cracker Jacks is?" I said, "The prize inside?" Then he said "Yes, what did you get?" I grabbed the prize and my ring was sealed inside. I was shaking so badly that I could barely open it. Then Caleb lifted me up so I was standing, and he got down on one knee. He put the ring on my finger and asked if I would be his wife, told me how much he loved me, and a million of other cute remarks. I of course said yes!!
Right about that time I started to see flashes of a camera. Caleb had his friend hiding and taking pictures of us. Some of the pictures are attached. We got to stay up on top of the Capitol and look at the city and kiss a lot. The entire day was wonderful and I can't believe what a romantic man I have to share my life with. I am having a hard time working or paying attention to anything! I am so excited and we are extremely happy. Thanks for sharing our engagement story with us. We plan to be married on March 19 2004 in the Portland Oregon Temple.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Updates

Calvin had a bad day